The place for stories and content shared by the iJournalism class.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Late season snow day trumps none at all



           
          A four-leaf clover? An aberration. Spotting a shooting star? It could be called unusual. But a snow day in March? That’s just downright rare.

            When my mom came and gave me the glorious news this morning, I felt a wave of something warm and fuzzy come over me. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about? I didn’t end up sleeping in too late, but I prefer it that way. Sleeping is necessary, but an excess of it leaves me with less time to seize the day. When I was younger, snow days were characterized by those quintessential moments of snowball fights, sledding, and hot chocolate. I kind of miss those days, actually.

            It scares me, that though I have brief lapses of nostalgia about the classic snow day, I don’t really have the desire to bundle up and head outside. The verdict? I’m getting old. I’d rather enjoy a drawn out breakfast, lazily perusing the newspaper while eating. I’d rather attempt to get ahead on schoolwork and decrease future stress. I’d rather read in bed, comfy and relaxed. Now, before anyone assumes that I’m basically going to school at home on a snow day, rest assured that I do engage in other, less academic activities.

            Today, I watched some TV with my brother, went shopping for something for the DR trip, and baked a nice loaf of whole wheat molasses bread (my current obsession). I enjoyed my day--it was a satisfying combination of productivity and relaxation. Does that sound paradoxical? Maybe, but then again, I am quite a paradoxical person.

            In short, snow days are wonderful. Having one in March is even better. Rare, but possible. Just look at today; I guess all the pajama-flipping and ice cube-flushing had some merit. I should give these rituals a try--maybe we’ll be lucky enough to get another day off in April. After all, we do live in the great, fickle state of Ohio.

            Hope everyone had a lovely snow day.

by Joy Cho

No comments:

Post a Comment